This is "Cylinder Sam". You might have seen him in Art shops.
Sam is made up of cylinders and balls.
Except for his head, everywhere he bends he has a round or oval ball where he can move.
The balls are joined up with cylinders. Stand up and see if you bend in all the same
places that Sam does!
Drawing Sam is a great way to learn how to draw people. Lets make him run and sit down.
If you want to you can draw or paint clothes on top of your cylinder figure the way I have with Cowboy Joe.
A fun way to practise drawing cylinder figures like Sam is to ask if you can draw over the sports
pictures in the newspaper with a nice strong marker. Start by putting a ball everywhere the figures bend,
then join them up with cylinders. Fun! You can see how it helped me draw
this girl at the beach from the coloured photo. I started by drawing the cylinder figure lightly in pencil,
then added the clothing, shading in the shadow patterns.
This next game is a really good one if you have a friend or two to draw with you!
Give everyone a strip of paper each and something to draw with. It is best if you all have the same colour pen or pencil.
1. You each draw the funniest head you can think of at the top of your paper, leaving 2 little marks where the neck is.
Now fold it over towards you, just like in the moving picture here so that the head is hidden and you can just see the neck.
2. SWAP YOUR PAPER WITH THE PERSON ON YOUR LEFT.
3. Now each draw a funny body joining it onto the neck. Leave some little marks where the legs need to join on,
and fold it towards you again so that only the little leg marks are showing.
4. SWAP YOUR PAPER WITH THE PERSON ON YOUR LEFT AGAIN.
5. Now each draw legs and feet, joining them onto the marks left by the person before you.
6. All done? NOW OPEN THEM UP!!! We are putting some of our funny results in here for you to see.
Another great game to play with a friend is "PROGRESSIVE DRAWINGS" on the same piece of paper.
It is a good one to play on a chalkboard or whiteboard in a class too.
First decide on your theme...for example, it might be 'WAYS TO TRAVEL' or 'UNDER THE SEA' or 'ALIENS.
Then take it in turns to add to the drawing! Here are some our family drew together...
If you had fun with some of these drawing games, how about writing to tell us? Just send an email to: email@example.com
Just before we finish, it is fun to try drawing a joke,
like this one by Amelia...